Walmart Revolutionizes Insulin Access & Affordability for Patients With Diabetes With the Launch of the First and Only Private Brand Analog Insulin
Walmart’s exclusive ReliOn™ NovoLog® vials and FlexPens® will save customers 58% to 75% off the cash price of branded insulin products.
BENTONVILLE, Ark., June 29, 2021 — Walmart announced the launch of the first-ever private brand analog insulin, which will revolutionize the access and affordability to diabetes care by offering customers a significant price savings without compromising quality. Available exclusively through Walmart’s private ReliOn brand, the new offering includes analog insulin vials ($72.88) and FlexPen® ($85.88). These products will save customers1 between 58% to 75% off the cash price of branded analog insulin products, which translates to a savings of up to $101 per branded vial or $251 per package of branded FlexPens®.
The new private label ReliOn™ NovoLog® Insulin (insulin aspart) injection, manufactured by Novo Nordisk, is available in Walmart pharmacies this week, and Sam’s Club pharmacies in mid-July across the United States. ReliOn™ NovoLog® is a rapid-acting insulin analog used to control high blood sugar in adults and children with diabetes. Customers will need a prescription in order to purchase the products and should always consult with their doctor regarding their diabetes management.
“We know many people with diabetes struggle to manage the financial burden of this condition, and we are focused on helping by providing affordable solutions. We also know this is a condition that disproportionately impacts underserved populations. With ReliOn NovoLog® insulin, we’re adding a high-quality medication for diabetes to the already affordable ReliOn line of products and continuing our commitment to improve access and lowering cost of care,” said Dr. Cheryl Pegus, executive vice president, Walmart Health & Wellness.
Walmart is a destination for affordable diabetes resources, including blood glucose monitors, lancets and other diabetes management essentials in the ReliOn portfolio. Notably, the retailer’s suite of affordable diabetes products offers customers choices when it comes to their diabetes management; however, every patient is unique and may respond differently to treatment, so the ultimate treatment decision should be based on their health care provider’s recommendation.
“Diabetes often comes with high medical costs, estimated around $9,601 per person per year. We welcome all affordable solutions that make diabetes management more accessible to millions of Americans living with diabetes. We encourage everyone to ask their health care provider questions to better understand what the right and affordable treatment is for their unique medical needs,” said Tracey D. Brown, chief executive officer of the American Diabetes Association.
The ReliOn NovoLog® analog insulin offering adds to Walmart’s history of introducing innovative solutions that increase access to quality, affordable health care resources, including the industry-leading $4 generic prescription program launched more than a decade ago. For additional information about Walmart’s affordable diabetes resources, visit Walmart.com/diabetes.
1 The out-of-pocket costs patient pay for insulin depends on a variety of factors. These savings have been calculated based on patients purchasing these insulins without prescription drug insurance.
Walmart Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better – anytime and anywhere – in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, approximately 220 million customers and members visit approximately 10,500 stores and clubs under 48 banners in 24 countries and eCommerce websites. With fiscal year 2021 revenue of $559 billion, Walmart employs 2.2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting corporate.walmart.com, on Facebook at facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at twitter.com/walmart.
Indications and Usage
What is NovoLog® (insulin aspart) injection?
- NovoLog® is a man-made insulin used to control high blood sugar in adults and children with diabetes mellitus.
Important Safety Information
Do not share your NovoLog® FlexPen®, NovoLog® FlexTouch®, PenFill® cartridge or PenFill® cartridge compatible insulin delivery device with other people, even if the needle has been changed. You may give other people a serious infection, or get a serious infection from them.
Who should not take NovoLog®?
Do not take NovoLog® if:
- your blood sugar is too low (hypoglycemia) or you are allergic to NovoLog® or any of its ingredients.
Before taking NovoLog®, tell your health care provider about all your medical conditions including, if you are:
- pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
- taking new prescription or over-the-counter medicines, including supplements.
Talk to your health care provider about how to manage low blood sugar.
How should I take NovoLog®?
- Read the Instructions for Use and take exactly as directed.
- NovoLog® starts acting fast. Eat a meal within 5 to 10 minutes after taking it.
- Know the type and strength of your insulin. Do not change your insulin type unless your health care provider tells you to.
- Check your blood sugar levels. Ask your health care provider what your blood sugar levels should be and when you should check them.
- Do not reuse or share your needles with other people. You may give other people a serious infection, or get a serious infection from them.
- Change (rotate) your injection sites within the area you choose with each injection to reduce your risk of getting lipodystrophy (pits in skin or thickened skin) and localized cutaneous amyloidosis (skin with lumps) at the injection sites.
- Do not use the exact same spot for each injection.
- Do not inject where the skin has pits, is thickened, or has lumps.
- Do not inject where the skin is tender, bruised, scaly or hard, or into scars or damaged skin.
What should I avoid while taking NovoLog®?
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery, until you know how NovoLog® affects you.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that contain alcohol.
What are the possible side effects of NovoLog®?
Serious side effects can lead to death, including:
Low blood sugar. Some signs and symptoms include:
- anxiety, irritability, mood changes, dizziness, sweating, confusion, and headache.
Your insulin dose may need to change because of:
- weight gain or loss, increased stress, illness, or change in diet or level of physical activity.
Other common side effects may include:
- low potassium in your blood, injection site reactions, itching, rash, serious whole body allergic reactions, skin thickening or pits at the injection site, weight gain, and swelling of your hands and feet.
Get emergency medical help if you have:
- trouble breathing, shortness of breath, fast heartbeat, swelling of your face, tongue, or throat, sweating, extreme drowsiness, dizziness, or confusion.
Please see Prescribing Information for NovoLog at https://www.novo-pi.com/novolog.pdf
ReliOn NovoLog® is a registered trademark of Novo Nordisk A/S. Novo Nordisk is a registered trademark of Novo Nordisk A/S. © 2021 Novo Nordisk All rights reserved. June 2021
This article was copied from Walmart’s website.